This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Find out more.

SP Energy Networks

SP Energy Networks logo.

Scottish Power Energy Networks (SP Energy Networks) is the electricity distribution network operator (DNO) for Central and Southern Scotland, Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, and North Shropshire.

Contact Phone Numbers and Email

General enquiries

Central and Southern Scotland – 0800 092 9290
Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, and North Shropshire – 0800 001 5400

Power cuts

Call 105, lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

New connections

Central and Southern Scotland – 0845 270 0785
Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, and North Shropshire – 0845 270 0783
Email – [email protected]


Call – 0330 101 0444
Email – [email protected]


Central and Southern Scotland:

SP Energy Networks
3rd Floor
320 St Vincent Street
G2 5AD

Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, and North Shropshire:

SP Energy Networks
3 Prenton Way
CH43 3ET


Check If SP Energy Networks is Your Distribution Operator

You can check if Scottish Power Energy Networks is your distribution network operator on the Energy Networks Association website.

What Do SP Energy Networks Do?

SP Energy Networks is one of 14 distribution network operators across the UK and they are responsible for two of the electricity distribution network areas in Central and Southern Scotland, and in Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, and North Shropshire.

SP Energy Networks is responsible for:

  • The maintenance and upgrading of 40,000 km of overhead power lines
  • The maintenance and upgrading of 65,000 km of underground power lines
  • Maintenance of the 30,000 sub-stations and transformers within their network
  • Reducing the voltage of the transmission grids electricity to a useable voltage
  • Returning excess electricity to the transmission grid
  • Supplying all homes and businesses with electricity within their network
  • Responding to power cuts
  • Repairing damaged or faulty lines and equipment
  • Dealing with any health and safety issues on the distribution network
  • Connecting new homes and businesses to the electricity network
  • Connecting small electricity generators to the electricity network
  • Relocating electricity cables

SP Energy Networks is not responsible for the National Grid in England or the Scottish Hydro-Electric Transmission grid in Northern Scotland, but they do connect to them to obtain electricity to serve its customers. Their parent company is responsible for the Scottish Power Transmission grid in Central and Southern Scotland, but this is operated as a separate business.

SP Energy Networks is not responsible for the retail of electricity they just provide the network that the electricity is distributed on and it is the electricity supplier who sells the electricity to you. However, SP Energy Networks parent company Scottish Power does supply electricity, but this is delivered separately to SP Energy Networks. Electricity suppliers pay SP Energy Networks for using their distribution network to supply its customers with electricity.

For more see:Who Supplies My Gas and Electricity?

History of SP Energy Networks

The electricity industry prior to 1948 in the UK was made up hundreds of separate private companies and local authority undertakings but as a result of the Electricity Act 1947, these companies were nationalised and merged into regional electricity boards.

In 1990, the energy industry in the UK was privatised and each of the area electricity boards were sold by the government to private companies. Scottish Power was formed prior to the privatisation to take over the South of Scotland Electricity Board. They also took ownership of the generation and transmission networks in the area too.

In 1995, Scottish Power acquired MANWEB who was the regional electricity company for Merseyside and North Wales, which extended SP Energy Networks into England.

What to Do in the Event of a Power Cut

If you experience a power cut you should call 105 to report it, lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You can also check on SP Energy Networks website for current power cuts and track progress. They also have advice on what to do in a power cut.

Can I Move My Meter?

If you want to move your electricity meter from its existing location or it affects the position of your electricity service provision then you will need to complete SP Energy Networks’ service alteration form.

Your electricity meter will need to be moved by the energy company, but the external electricity supply will be moved by SP Energy Networks. You may also need an electrician to connect the relocated meter with your electricity consumer unit.

Other Services SP Energy Networks Offer

SP Energy Networks’ owners are Scottish Power who have other energy-related offerings:

  • Managing the transmission grid in Central and Southern Scotland
  • Supply and sale of gas and electricity in the UK to homes and businesses
  • Electricity generation
  • Developer of wind energy

Priority Services Register

Both the Distribution Network Operators and the energy suppliers maintain a Priority Services Register for tracking vulnerable customers who may need additional support. This register is used by SP Energy Networks when a power cut occurs to provide additional support if needed to these priority customers who are affected by a power cut.


If you need to make a complaint to SP Energy Networks, contact:

  • Call – 0333 101 0444
  • Email – [email protected]
  • Write: Central and Southern Scotland: Customer Contact Team, SP Energy Networks, 3rd Floor, 320 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5AD. OR Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, and North Shropshire: Customer Contact Team, SP Energy Networks, 3 Prenton Way, Prenton, CH43 3ET

They will aim to resolve your complaint within 10 working days. If you are not happy the response you can ask for a manager to review the complaint within 10 days. If you are still not happy you can escalate it to a senior manager, and then to the Customer Service Director after that where you will receive a final response letter.

If you are not happy with the final outcome or the complaint has not been resolved within eight weeks you can escalate your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman.

Compare Latest Tariffs