PowerCompare.co.uk is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
PowerCompare.co.uk may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 22/05/2018.
Please note: For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU), we are both a data controller and data processor. All domestic energy switches are processed by Uswitch Limited (Company number 03612689) and business energy switches are processed by Love Energy Savings.com Limited (Company number 06322305). They handle all price comparisons and/or quote form data provided by the user. This data is not shared with us.
Please be aware that they may, at their sole discretion, choose to share these details with third party companies in order to offer you pricing information and other relevant details.
These partners and third parties may choose to contact you by email and/or phone based on details you enter on the site.
Processing Data Under The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Our legal basis of processing data is legitimate interest. We are primarily an informational website and while technically a data controller, we process minimal amounts of personal data and only use standard third-party tools.
In plain English here are the tools and platforms we use, why we use them and how you can manage your data on them. If you would like to block access to these tools, not just on our site, but across the web, we recommend looking at a solution such as Ghostery.
- Love Energy Savings: We link to directly to Love Energy Savings using an affiliate referral id they’ve provided for us. This allows us to earn a commission if they help you switch your business energy. Again this comes with no cost to you and helps us pay for this website.
- Google Analytics/Tag Manager: This is used to track website usage in aggregate. We do not use it to track individual users. Here are the key settings we are currently using: Remarketing: OFF; Advertising Reporting Features: OFF; User and event data retention: Set to expire after 14 months (shortest option offered); Reset on new activity: ON; User-ID: OFF; Accepted GDPR Data Processing Amendment. Google currently offers an Analytics opt-out here.
- Facebook Social Graph: This helps make it easier to share our content on Facebook and shows how often content has been shared on Facebook. See Facebook’s Data Page for more on how they use your data.
- Affiliate/external links: We may occasionally include affiliate links besides those to Uswitch and Love Energy Savings to help support the site. Generally speaking we will make note of these either in the article itself or the footer of the article. Any sort of tracking only occurs if you click on an external link. If you’re concerned about this, the simplest option is to not click on external links from our website.
What information may be collected
Any or all of the following may be collected by third-parties on their website:
- Name and job title.
- Location information including postcode and address.
- Information about your energy usage and current energy supplier.
- Contact information including email address and/or phone number.
- Information about your business and/or a business you work for such as name and energy supplier.
What is done with the information gathered
This information is required to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To provide you with price comparison and/or energy switching services. Please note all processing of comparison and/or quote data is handled by either Uswitch or Love Energy Savings. As noted above this may involve the sharing of information with third party suppliers as outlined above.
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. This includes sending all website information via secure SSL technology.
Users contacting and/or submitting information this website and/or its owners do so at their own discretion and provide any such personal details requested at their own risk. Your personal information is kept private and stored securely until a time it is no longer required or has no use, as detailed in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 1998.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website.
Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
This website may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. Users are advised before using such social sharing buttons that they do so at their own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account.
Users are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking any shortened urls published on social media platforms by this website and its owners. Despite the best efforts to ensure only genuine urls are published many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking and therefore this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information by getting in contact with Uswitch or Love Energy Savings.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
v.2.0 – 22 May, 2018 Edited & customised by: PowerCompare.co.uk