This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Find out more.

Western Power Distribution

Western Power Distribution logo.

Western Power Distribution is the electricity distribution network operator (DNO) for the Midlands, South Wales and the South West of England.

Contact Phone Numbers and Email

General enquiries

Call – 0800 096 3080, lines are open Monday-Friday 8am-5pm

Power cuts

Call 105, lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

New connections

Midland – 0800 096 3080 or [email protected] 

South Wales – 0800 096 3080 or [email protected] 

South West – 0800 096 3080 or [email protected] 


Call – 0800 055 6833
Email – [email protected] 


Western Power Networks
Feeder Road


Check If Western Power Distribution is Your Distribution Operator

You can check if Western Power Distribution is your distribution network operator on their website.

What Does Western Power Distribution Do?

Western Power Distribution is one of 14 distribution network operators across the UK and they are responsible for the electricity distribution network in the Midlands, South West and Wales.

Western Power Distribution is responsible for:

  • The maintenance and upgrading of 220,000 km of overhead and underground power lines
  • The maintenance of 185,000 transformers used to step down voltage
  • Maintenance of the sub-stations within their network
  • Reducing the voltage of the National Grid electricity to a useable voltage
  • Returning excess electricity to the National Grid
  • Supplying all homes and businesses with electricity within their network
  • Responding to power cuts
  • Repairing damaged or faulty lines and equipment
  • Dealing with any health and safety issues on the distribution network
  • Connecting new homes and businesses to the electricity network
  • Connecting small electricity generators to the electricity network
  • Relocating electricity cables

Western Power Distribution connects to the National Grid to obtain electricity to serve its customers, but it is not responsible for the National Grid network.

Western Power Distribution is also not responsible for the sale of electricity, they only provide the network that the electricity is distributed on and it is the electricity supplier who sells the electricity to you. Electricity suppliers pay Western Power Distribution for using their distribution network to supply its customers with electricity.

History of Western Power Distribution

The electricity industry in the UK prior to 1948 was made up of hundreds of small companies and local authority undertakings. As a result of the Electricity Act 1947, these companies were nationalised and merged into the regional electricity boards that were responsible for the distribution networks and energy suppliers, these were called electricity boards.

In 1990, the energy industry in the UK was privatised and each of the area electricity boards were sold by the government to private companies. The four distribution networks that form Western Power Distribution now were original privatised as South Western Electricity Board (SWEB), South Wales Electricity Board (SWALEB), East Midlands Electricity plc (EME), and Midlands Electricity Board (MEB).

SWEB was bought by Southern Company in 1995 and then later sold in 1999 to Western Power Distribution where the electricity supply business was separated from it and continued to operate as SWEB. The distribution network was renamed Western Power Distribution.

SWALEB was originally purchased by Welsh Water (also known as Hyder) who split the electricity supply business from the distribution network and sold it off in 2000. Also, in 2000 Western Power Distribution purchased Hyder along with SWALEB and renamed the distribution network as Western Power Distribution.

Both EME and MEB functions were split up not long after they were privatised, and the distribution network function of each company was owned by several companies before they were both bought by E.ON and branded Central Networks in 2004. In 2011, Central Networks was purchased by Western Power Distribution and rebranded under their name.

What to Do in the Event of a Power Cut

If you experience a power cut you should call 105 to report it, lines are open 24 hours a day seven days a week.

Alternatively, you can check and track power cuts on Western Power Networks website.

Can I Move My Meter?

If you want to move your electricity meter from its existing location or the position of your electricity service provision, then you will need to contact your local Western Power Distribution office.

Your electricity meter will need to be moved by the energy supply company, but the external electricity supply will be moved by Western Power Distribution. You may also need an electrician to connect the relocated meter with your electricity consumer unit.

Other Services Western Power Distribution Offer

Western Power Distribution also offer other electricity-related services:

  • Their contracting services function offers installation, operation and maintenance, and full design services for distribution networks
  • Smart metering installation and maintenance
  • Helicopter unit which assists engineering projects
  • Training in high voltage switching training and other technical courses about electricity distribution
  • Surf Telecoms which is Western Power Networks’ telecommunications business

Priority Services Register

Both the Distribution Network Operators and the energy suppliers maintain a Priority Services Register for tracking vulnerable customers who may need additional support. This register is used by Western Power Distribution when a power cut occurs to provide additional support if needed to these priority customers who are affected by a power cut.


If you need to make a complaint to Western Power Distribution contact:

  • Call – 0800 055 6833
  • Email – [email protected] 
  • Online form
  • Write – Complaints Department, Information Centre, Avonbank, Feeder Road, Bristol, BS2 0TB

Complaints will be handled by the local manager and they will try to resolve the complaints within one working day. If you are not happy with the way your complaint has been handled, you can contact a senior manager who will contact you within three working days and will investigate the complaint. If you are still not satisfied you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by the Regulation and Government Affairs Manager, who will send out a deadlock letter within one week.

If you are not happy with the final outcome or the complaint has not been resolved within eight weeks you can escalate your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman.

Compare Latest Tariffs