British Gas is the UK’s largest energy supplier to both homes and businesses. Below we look at what tariffs and services British Gas offers to its businesses customers.
Note this article focuses on British Gas’ Business tariffs and services, domestic customers should visit our British Gas Reviews & Tariffs page.
British Gas Business Reviews
Our meta review analysis gave British Gas a Power Compare Score of 5.1 out of 10 .
Additionally, Citizens Advice ranked British Gas Business 7th out of the top 15 business energy suppliers.
British Gas Business Electricity Tariffs
- Easy switching within 21 days
- Fixed electricity prices
- Choose from our one, two or three-year Fixed Price Energy Plans
- Expertise to help your businesses
- Pricing is based on your business size and electricity consumption. It may be calculated on a fixed or a variable rate tariff.
- Also offer Variable rate plans.
- Out of Contract rates currently: 19.21 p/kWh + 40.34 p/day standing charge for 01 – 04 Profiles or 20.78 p/kWh + 100.66 p/day standing charge for 05 – 08 Profiles and Half-Hourly Whole Current Meters.
British Gas Business Gas Tariffs
- Switch should take three weeks
- Fixed gas prices
- Choose from our one, two or three-year Fixed Price Energy Plans.
- The unit pricing of business gas could be cheaper than domestic prices depending on the size of the business and your gas consumption.
- Also offer Variable rate plans.
- Out of Contract Gas rates are currently 3.64 p/kWh + 158.41 p/day standing charge for Small Non-Daily Meter, 3.78 p/kWh + 2,566.24 p/day standing charge for Large Non-Daily Meter and 3.67 p/kWh + 15,229.68 p/day standing charge for Daily Meter customers.
Other British Gas Business Energy Products & Services
British Gas can also help your business beyond just supplying electricity and gas. They also offer the following:
- Business Care: Heating and boiler service and maintenance plans
- Commercial boilers: Free surveys and quotes for new commercial boilers.
- Boiler repairs: Commercial boiler repairs by Gas Safe registered engineers.
- Business gas safety checks
- Business energy legislation including Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) reporting, Climate Change Levy (CCL) and Renewable Sourced Electricity (RSE).
- Training courses and qualifications
- Air conditioning service
- Electric vehicle charging
- Dyno drain services
British Gas Business Smart Meters
British Gas currently allows all business customers to upgrade both their electricity and gas meters to a smart meter for free. These should in theory help save you time and mean more accurate bills.
British Gas Business Meter Readings
If you don’t have a Smart meter, you can submit your electricity and gas meter readings online or by using their free app (see below).
British Gas Business Bills
British Gas has a detailed help section explaining how your bills work. It includes information such as:
- How billing works
- How much VAT you’ll pay (20%, unless you use less than an average of 33 kWh per day (1,000 kWh per month) of electricity or 145 kWh per day (4,397 kWh per month) of gas; then you’ll only pay 5% VAT on those amounts)
- Help reading your bill, including an example
- How to pay your bill (debit or credit card, online account, bank transfer and/or Direct Debit)
- What to do if there’s something wrong with you bill and more
British Gas Business App
- Seamless registration & log in
- Submit meter reads, even in the dark using the torch
- View & securely pay your balance
- View your updated balance after paying or submitting a reading
However, the app does not get great reviews with just 1.4 out of 5 on the Apple App Store and 2.0 out of 5 on Google Play.
Switching Your Business Energy To British Gas
It can take from three weeks to three months to switch your energy supply to British Gas. To switch they will need to do the following:
- Perform a credit check for you and your business
- Contact your existing supplier and let them know British Gas are taking over your supply on the date you’ve both agreed
- Send out an order confirmation pack that will contain your contract, details such as your account number, the price of your energy and other important information relating to your new supply
They also suggest you open an online account with them to make getting in contact easier.
You’ll also have to:
- Give notice to your current supplier, and pay any outstanding bills.
- Check all the contract details are correct.
- Submit an opening meter reading within five days of your supply starting so that we can send you a correct first bill.
Moving Business Premises With British Gas
Additionally they also offer answer Frequently asked questions about moving business premises.
British Gas Business Complaints
You can find out how to make a business complaint here.
Basically you have 3 options:
- E-mails using their online form (or email@example.com)
- By phone: 0330 100 0222
- By post: Write to their Business Customer Services Team, British Gas, Winnall Down, Alresford Road, Winchester, SO21 1FP
Contact Phone Numbers & Email
Phone: 0808 278 4551 for a quote (Mon-Thurs 8.30am-5.30pm, Fri 8.30am-5pm)
E-mail: Do not provide an easy to fin e-mail address and instead offer a contact us page.
British Gas Business Address
British Gas Business Summary
- Biggest supplier in the UK
- Offers many additional services for businesses beyond just electricity and gas
- Has an app for both iPhones and Android Phones
- Out-of-contract and deemed rates are very high (although not more so than most companies)
- App gets poor reviews
- Finding direct contact information is less straightforward than it should be
For more see: British Gas Reviews & Tariffs