XLN provide “low-cost energy deals” for 400,000 small businesses across the UK.
They claim customers can save up to 44% on gas and electricity, and keep their rates the same for 4 years.
Find out more about XLN below.
XLN Energy Reviews
- Trustpilot: 8.7 out of 10, based on 3,574 reviews.
- Which?: No review available.
- Review Centre: 1.8 out of 5, based on 157 reviews (telecoms side of the business only).
- Google: No reviews available.
- Citizens Advice: Doesn’t rank in the Citizens Advice list of 15 business energy companies and how well they deal with complaints.
XLN EnergyPower Compare Score: 8.7 out of 10 (based on energy scores above)
XLN Energy Electricity, Gas and Dual Fuel Products
Electricity and gas
- Can be fixed for up to 4 years.
- Free AMR meter.
- Calls answered “inside 3 rings”.
- Will beat your current supplier’s renewal offer.
- No credit check if you’ve been an XLN customer for at least 2 years.
- Try not to let their customers move onto more expensive variable rates.
To find out specific pricing information, you can get a quote from XLN.
Note the tariff information listed above was correct at the time of writing (22 February 2018), although as noted, prices will vary by post code and subject to change at any time.
XLN Energy Background
XLN provide broadband, payment technology, energy, water, and telecoms to small British businesses. They proudly list their achievements on their website – their Trustpilot score is “20x better than BT’s”, they answer calls “inside 3 rings” and they “solve 90% of issues on the first call”.
If a customer takes out phone, broadband, card processing and energy with them, they’ll “save an average of £1,750 every year”.
They don’t cater to large businesses or corporates, their focus is exclusively on small businesses and micro businesses. They pitch themselves as David, while the Big Six are Goliath.
XLN Energy Smart Meter
Customers can get a free AMR meter, which will automatically send meter readings to XLN so they only pay for the energy they use and their bills are accurate.
Other XLN Energy Meters
AMR is the only type of meter mentioned on the XLN website.
XLN Energy Bills
Payment by Direct Debit is preferred, but XLN also accept debit/credit card, cheque and Giro payments with an extra £5 a month charge. Invoices will be sent monthly.
XLN Energy App
There is no app available, but energy customers can log into XLN’s online portal.
Switching To XLN Energy
XLN’s energy customers don’t get much information about switching timeframes, there’s far more guidance for broadband customers. Usually you need to provide:
- How much you’re spending on energy right now (either annually or monthly, but ideally both)
- When your current contract date ends and if there are any exit fees.
- What your consumption rates are.
- Your up-to-date meter readings.
Moving Locations With XLN Energy
If you’re moving to a new premises, it’s wise to give XLN as much notice as possible. If you’re leaving a contract, you might face an early termination fee.
XLN Energy Fuel Mix
No fuel mix disclosed.
Coal – 8.5% UK average
Natural gas – 44.1%
Nuclear – 21.0%
Renewable – 24.2%
Other – 2.2%
XLN Energy In the News
XLN to roll out free public Wi-Fi on British high streets
uSwitch blog, July 2016
XLN will roll out free Wi-Fi to 15,000 of its customers, with the view to provide this for their whole customer base eventually.
XLN Energy Complaints
75% of XLN’s Trustpilot reviews are 5/5 stars. Customers are generally very pleased with the customer service they receive. The 1 and 2 star reviews are quite detailed and generally refer to being mis-sold.
Review Centre reviewers are a lot less complimentary, but mainly pertain to broadband services rather than energy.
Contact Phone Numbers & Email
Phone: 0800 652 8009
Email: [email protected]
XLN Energy Address
XLN Ltd. First Floor, Millbank Tower, 21-24 Millbank, London. SW1P 4QP.
XLN Energy Summary
XLN have a lot to say about their customer service capabilities and affordable prices – many of their reviews seem to back these claims up too. If they can provide competitive prices, it might involve being tied into a long contract, so customers should bear this in mind before committing. On the whole, they put a lot of effort into marketing themselves to small businesses and have cultivated a reputation as trustworthy and affordable.
- Positive, detailed reviews.
- Prices fixed and more affordable than others.
- Offer telecoms, broadband and other services too.
- Some critics seem to feel they’ve been mis-sold to.
- Lack of switching and moving information available.
- More information on the site for telecoms and broadband customers.