Xcel Energy UK was established in 1996 and provides business gas at ‘the best price’.
They claim customers can save “up to 55% of (their) business gas costs by buying at the right time”.
Find out more about Xcel Energy below.
Xcel Energy Reviews
- Trustpilot: 9.3 out of 10, based on 24 reviews.
- Which?: No review available.
- Review Centre: No reviews available.
- Citizens Advice: Doesn’t rank in the Citizens Advice list of 15 business energy companies and how well they deal with complaints.
Xcel Energy Gas Products
- Review gas market prices daily.
- No prices available on the website.
- Judging by reviews, they can also install and move gas connections.
To find out specific pricing information, you can get a quote from Xcel.
Note the tariff information listed above was correct at the time of writing (22 February 2018), although as noted, prices will vary by post code and subject to change at any time.
Xcel Energy Background
Established in 1996, after the UK gas market was deregulated, Xcel Energy appear to be a relatively transparent utility company. They have a page on their website which explains energy procurement from various angles, including what’s added to the wholesale price and the role major energy firms play.
Xcel say they “could save…up to 55% off your business gas costs by buying at the right time”, but their website content hasn’t been updated much since 2015.
Not connected to the US energy supplier of the same name.
Xcel Energy Smart Meter
Smart meters aren’t mentioned on the website, so don’t appear to be available to customers.
Other Xcel Energy Meters
Customers can submit their meter readings through the website. There’s a brief visual guide to reading a digital meter included on the same page.
Xcel Energy Bills
Payment by Direct Debit is preferred, and will either be fixed or variable.
Xcel Energy App
There is no app or online portal available to customers.
Switching To Xcel Energy
There is no specific switching information on the website, but usually you need to provide:
- How much you’re spending on energy right now (either annually or monthly, but ideally both)
- When your current contract date ends and if there are any exit fees.
- What your consumption rates are.
- Your up-to-date meter readings.
Moving Locations With Xcel Energy
If you’re moving to a new premises, it’s wise to give Xcel as much notice as possible. There’s a change of tenancy form available on the website, which will need to be printed and scanned/emailed or posted, judging by the fact it needs a signature.
Xcel Energy Fuel Mix
No fuel mix disclosed.
Coal – 8.5% UK average
Natural gas – 44.1%
Nuclear – 21.0%
Renewable – 24.2%
Other – 2.2%
Xcel Energy In the News
No recent press.
Xcel Energy Complaints
There are only 24 reviews on Trustpilot, but they’re all very positive. Customers are pleased with the way Xcel monitor their prices, deliver customer service, and carry out on-premises work.
Contact Phone Numbers & Email
Phone: 0333 600 1036
Email: [email protected]
Xcel Energy Address
Longley Lane, Spondon, Derby, Derbyshire, DE21 7AT.
Xcel Energy Summary
For businesses looking for a gas-only tariff, Xcel could offer more competitive prices than others, and their reviews are very encouraging. However, it’s not entirely clear whether customers can fix their prices, what their fuel mix is, and how easy it is to manage your account yourself. Customers could definitely benefit from more account management information from Xcel.
- Positive, detailed reviews.
- Prices depend on wholesale market and could be ‘fairer’.
- Gas only.
- Lack of tariff and account management information.