Powergen was originally a UK government branded company that has been sold to private investors and then bought out by E.ON.
Learn more about the history of the company below.
Use of the Powergen Brand Today?
The Powergen brand is no longer used as it has been superseded by the E.ON brand not long after E.ON acquired the company.
The names PowerGen or Power-Gen are also used in other countries but is not linked to the energy company in the UK. In the UK there is a company called Plutus PowerGen but this is also not linked to Powergen or E.ON.
Powergen Contact Phone Numbers & Email
Call – 0345 052 0000 (E.ON)
Email – contact form (E.ON)
E.ON UK plc
Westwood Business Park
Website: https://www.eonenergy.com (E.ON)
The History of Powergen
Powergen was formed in 1989 by the UK government prior to the privatisation of the UK electricity boards in 1990. The company was set up as a public limited company to acquire half of the Central Electricity Generating Board’s generation capacity. The Central Electricity Generating Board was responsible for all the electricity generation in England and Wales until 1990.
In 1991, 60% of Powergen was sold to private investors and the remaining 40% was sold in 1995. Once in private hands, the company went through a period of expansion through the acquisition of East Midlands Electricity in 1998 to add electricity supply to its portfolio. It was then bought out by a German energy company called E.ON in 2001.
In 2004, it purchased the electricity distribution network called Midlands Electricity. Together with East Midlands Electricity, these two companies were rebranded as Central Networks a company of E.ON.
They also rebranded their industrial and commercial retail business as E.ON UK. The Powergen logo was also adapted in 2005 to include a company of E.ON. Then in 2007 the Powergen brand was phased out and replaced by E.ON.
E.ON continues to operate today from it Coventry offices and its operations include energy supply and distribution, as well as energy generation from coal, gas, oil, combined heat and power (CHP), biomass, onshore and offshore wind farms, and wave power. It employs over 9,400 people and serves five million homes and businesses in the UK.
E.ON forms part of the E.ON Group who also offer heating systems solutions and installation to homes, solar PV installation, and energy management for businesses in the UK.
What Happened to Powergen?
Powergen was a business that grew and evolved into a larger business in the late 1990s to 2000s through various acquisitions before being taken over by E.ON 2001. The company’s operations continue but under the new company name of E.ON since 2007.
For more see: E.ON Reviews & Tariffs