Haven Power is owned by Drax Group, who operate Drax Power Station, the largest renewable energy generator in the UK.
Find out more about Haven and their sustainability credentials below.
Haven Power Reviews
- Trustpilot: No review available.
- Which?: No review available.
- Review Centre: No review available.
- Google: 2.1 out of 5 based on 47 reviews overall.
- Citizens Advice: Haven Power came 6th in the Citizens Advice ranking of 15 business energy companies and how well they deal with complaints. No score out of 10 is available.
Haven Power Business Electricity, Gas & Dual Fuel Tariffs
To find out specific tariff information, you can get a quote by contacting Haven directly.
- Fixed price and flexible contract options.
- Advice from energy experts.
- 100% renewable electricity.
- Automated Meter Reading (AMR).
- Complete – know all the costs before you commit.
- Assured – take control of the majority of costs, protect against Capacity Market, Contract for Difference etc.
- Pass-through – energy costs fixed, only pay for Third Party Costs Haven are charged.
- Flex Pro – can buy electricity at different times, and fix and unfix purchasing.
- Flex Combi – buy wholesale energy at market reflective prices, and fix Third Party Costs.
- Portfolios – for smaller businesses that want flexible trading, can purchase as groups.
Note the tariff information listed above was correct at the time of writing (27 November 2017), although as noted, prices will vary by post code and subject to change at any time.
Haven Power Background
Operating since 2006, Haven claim to offer 17,000 businesses 100% renewable electricity and a range of fixed and flexible products for businesses of all sizes. They have access to the UK’s biggest renewable power station, where their parent company generates biomass renewable electricity.
Haven’s owner Drax generates 17% of the UK’s renewable electricity. Drax also owns Opus Energy, another business energy provider focusing on renewables.
Haven Power Smart Meter
The only mention of smart meters on Haven’s website are general updates on their blog, but there’s no specific info about when customers could get one, or if they’re even going to become available.
Smart meters will allow customers automatically submit readings for the most accurate monthly billing, rather than reading their meter manually. The meter also records usage in real-time, so the user knows how much energy they’re using at a glance.
Other Haven Power Meters
The Haven online account is the easiest way to submit a meter reading manually.
Some tariffs include Automatic Meter Reading (AMR), which means bills are more accurate and access to the meter doesn’t have to be pre-arranged. Customers with AMR don’t have to submit meter readings, they’ll be reported to Haven automatically.
Haven Power Bills
There’s not very much information about what bills will look like, but Haven have put together an ‘Energy Sector Jargon Buster’, which explains a few different terms and abbreviations regularly seen on energy bills.
The easiest way to pay energy bills is usually through Direct Debit or bank transfer – customers can set this up online or over the phone.
If your business’ bill is higher than usual, it could be because meter readings haven’t been submitted regularly enough, new equipment has recently been installed and it’s using a lot of power, or a fixed contract has ended.
Haven Power App
There’s no app available for Haven customers, but there is a customer portal available on desktop. All account holders have access and can use it to submit readings, check account details, and make payments.
Switching To Haven Power
To switch from your existing business energy supplier to another one, you’ll need to know:
- How much you’re spending on energy right now (either annually or monthly, but ideally both)
- When your current contract date ends and if there are any exit fees.
- What your consumption rates are.
- Your up-to-date meter readings.
Moving locations With Haven Power
If you’re moving out, you need to let your Haven Power account manager know by phone or email at least 7 days before you move. They’ll ask for a meter reading and a forwarding address for your final invoice. Once you’re paid up, they’ll close your account officially.
To stay with Haven at your new premises, let your account manager know your intentions when you contact them. Remember though, different premises can incur different energy costs, so it’s always worth searching for new tariffs and providers to see if they’ll be more affordable.
Haven Power Fuel Mix
Coal – 4.2% (8.5% UK average)
Natural gas – 13% (44.1%)
Nuclear – 3.6% (21.0%)
Renewable – 77.8% (24.2%)
Other – 1.4% (2.2%)
Haven Power Feed-in Tariff
Haven Power is a voluntary Feed-in Tariff (FIT) licensee. This means you can receive your FIT payments from them (as long as your system is MCS certified) if you are an Haven Power customer, but they are not obliged to offer this service on an ongoing basis. You can learn more on their website.
Haven Power In the News
Sustainability Leaders Awards 2018 shortlist revealed!
25 Oct 2017, edie.net
Haven Power are listed as a nomination for ‘CRS, Charity and Community Initiative’ at the Edie Sustainability Leaders Awards 2018.
Ipswich-based Haven Power ‘worth £488m to UK economy’ according to research for owner Drax Group
18 Oct 2017, East Anglian Daily Times
Haven have apparently added £488 million and 5,400 jobs to the UK economy. MP for Ipswich, Sandy Martin thinks Haven have “become an energy supplier of national importance”.
Haven Power Complaints
Haven are nowhere to be seen on the usual review sites, but they are included in Citizens Advice’s list of the best business energy companies for complaints handling, ranking 6th out of 15.
Google’s reviews aren’t overwhelmingly positive. Those who’ve had a bad experience blame poor communication, unclear pricing, and some surprisingly expensive bills. Haven have responded to the negative reviews, but with a largely copied and pasted response, asking the customer to contact them again.
Contact Phone Numbers & Email
Phone: 01473 277556
Email: [email protected]
Haven Power Address
The Havens, Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, IP3 9SJ.
Haven Power Summary
Detailed information on Haven Power is hard to find, and the reviews that are available aren’t very convincing. Despite this though, some customers claim their prices are very competitive, and they have access to renewable energy which could reduce their business’ carbon footprint.
- Prices are apparently very competitive, according to the positive reviewers.
- Choice of fixed and variable tariffs.
- Citizens Advice rank Haven reasonably well for dealing with complaints.
- Despite them shouting about their renewable credentials, some other business energy providers use more renewable.
- Very few reviews out there, so it’s hard to make an informed decision before enquiring.
- Not much information on the website about meter readings, how long switching takes or smart meters.