This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Find out more.

Who Supplies My Gas and Electricity?

If you do not know who your energy suppliers are, and you do not have any energy bills, then you can contact the following providers to find out:

Gas supplier – contact the Meter Point Administration Service. You can use Meter Point Administration’s online service, Find My Supplier or call the Meter Point Administration Service to get details of your gas supplier. They can also provide your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN).

Phone: 0870 608 1524 (this call will cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company’s access charge).

Electricity supplier – you can contact your regional distribution network operator (see the below list) to find out who your supplier is, or if you do not know who your distribution network operator is you can search by postcode on the Energy Networks Association network operator service.

  • North Scotland: Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks – 0800 048 3515
  • Central & Southern Scotland: SP Energy Networks – 0330 1010 300
  • North East England & Yorkshire: Northern Powergrid – 0800 011 3332
  • North West England: Electricity North West – 0800 195 4141
  • Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales & North Shropshire: SP Energy Networks – 0330 1010 300
  • East Midlands & West Midlands: Western Power Distribution – 0800 096 3080
  • South Wales & South West England: Western Power Distribution – 0800 096 3080
  • London, South East England & Eastern England: UK Power Networks – 0845 601 4516
  • Southern England: Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks – 0800 048 3516
  • Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland Electricity Networks – 03457 643 643
  • Republic of Ireland: ESB Networks – 00353 1850 372 757

You could also ask your previous supplier if they can tell you supplies your property if you are moving home. You could also switch your new home to them if you wanted to.

Why Should You Contact the Energy Supplier?

If you do not know who your energy supplier is it is likely that you have not paid a bill for some time or you have moved home. Either way, it is important to deal with this straight away as you may be on an expensive standard tariff which may cost £300 more a year, and you could be amounting considerable debt.

You should find out who the supplier is so that you can register with them as the new owner or tenant in the property, many suppliers have online forms that you can complete to inform them of this. You should also either ask to be put on a cheaper tariff or switch suppliers to get a better deal.

Switching Energy Suppliers

As mentioned above you may be on expensive tariffs so it might be worth using a our energy price comparison service to see which energy supplier can offer you the best tariff.

Who Supplies the Energy to My Home?

The company that delivers the gas and electricity to your home in most cases is different from your energy supplier. Gas and electricity pipes and cables are managed by local distribution network operators.

If you want to find out who your local operator is visit the Energy Networks Association website where you can search by postcode on their network operator finder service to find out who your gas and electricity distribution network operator is.

Compare Latest Tariffs