Many homeowners are unaware that an annual boiler service will not only prolong the life of your boiler but also keep it running efficiently.
Some boiler manufacturers may even refuse a warranty if your servicing isn’t kept up to date. With so many questions about annual boiler services and what they include, our experts have put together this guide to inform you about the checks included as standard and what you should expect from your annual service.
In this helpful guide, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know about annual boiler services and the kind of checks they include as standard.
What Is An Annual Boiler Service?
A boiler service is a yearly check-up on your boiler and heating system. This routine check-up is performed every year to ensure that your boiler is functioning effectively and efficiently, meeting all of your heating and hot water needs as it should.
A qualified Gas Safe registered engineer must conduct your boiler’s annual service. This will help to ensure that your service is performed to a high standard. A qualified engineer will be experienced in performing boiler services on a range of different boiler systems.
It should not matter what brand your boiler is, a qualified engineer will be able to service your boiler safely. Some engineers will have popular boiler brand manuals to hand such as Worcester Bosch band Viessman. Others may need to see the manual that came with the boiler unit. This ensures that all operating figures match the recommended manufacturer recommendations as slight variations apply by the manufacturer. Do not worry if you cannot find the manual, most are available online.
Do I Need An Annual Boiler Service?
Sometimes. For your peace of mind and the longevity of your boiler, it is a good idea to keep up to date with your boiler servicing. Some manufacturers make servicing mandatory as a part of your boiler’s manufacturer-backed warranty. If you fail to arrange a boiler service on an annual basis for your system, you risk invalidating your warranty. You should try your best to avoid doing this, as a boiler warranty is an important safety net for your heating system.
Annual boiler services play an important part in keeping your energy bills. Whilst not always obvious, sludge may build up in your condensing pipe. This means over time your boiler will use more energy to operate at the level your household requires. This is only one way a boiler service can save you money as a well-maintained boiler will last many more years than a neglected one.
Additionally, an annual boiler service can help to identify any potential faults with your system and allow you to catch problems before they worsen. This can save you from facing inconveniencing and expensive boiler breakdowns in the future.
What Is Included In A Boiler Service?
During your boiler servicing appointment, your Gas Safe registered engineer will conduct a series of checks on your boiler and heating system to ensure that it is meeting your needs most efficiently.
A typical boiler service will include:
- A visual inspection – Your Gas Safe registered engineer will carefully examine the outside of your boiler, ensuring that it adheres to current standards. They will also lookout for any leaks or signs of corrosion, as well as check the flame in your boiler.
- Boiler casing removal – The engineer will also inspect the components within the boiler to ensure that everything is working safely and as it should. In addition, they will usually give the inside of the boiler a clean. This part of the boiler service should also include an examination of the heat exchanger, burner, and spark probe main injector.
- Inspection of the boiler flue – During this part of the boiler service, your engineer will check that there are no obstructions or hindrances to the boiler flue terminals. They will also ensure that the flue is securely fitted in line with current boiler flue regulations.
- Boiler pressure check – This check helps to ensure that your boiler is operating at the right pressure. The usually recommended pressure for gas boilers is between 1 and 2 bars. This is an essential check, as your boiler’s performance can be significantly affected if the pressure is too low or too high.
- An examination of the system whilst fired up – During this part of the boiler service, your engineer will examine how your heating system performs in action and look out for any working faults or errors.
- Additional checks – Your engineer will also conduct additional checks to ensure that electric connections are clean and functioning properly, fans are operating correctly, seals are in good condition, safety devices are working, water and gas pipework are in good health, and that the system’s condensate trap and pipe are not obstructed in any way.
- Advice and information – Your boiler service is an opportunity for you to ask a qualified heating professional any questions you may have about your boiler and heating system. During your appointment, your engineer will be able to advise you on the best ways to use your boiler to ensure that it functions effectively for years to come. Quite often the engineer will clean the condenser pipe of any sludge build-up.
Do I Need Boiler Cover?
The average boiler service price is approximately £80-£100 in total. Whilst a comprehensive boiler cover plan can cost on average £15-£30 per month, you will get any repairs included and free annual boiler service. This offers peace of mind that if anything goes wrong outside of your boiler warranty, you will be fully covered.
As an additional bonus, many boiler cover plan providers often send you reminders about when your boiler servicing appointment is due, saving you the stress of having to keep track of dates every year and helping to ensure that your system’s manufacturer-backed warranty stays valid.
At Power Compare, we offer a range of boiler cover plans – many of which include boiler servicing as part of the deal. Visit our page on boiler cover today for more information.